3D
CommunityNEWNew ReleasesTop Rentals3D Blu-ray4K UltraHDBuy UsedComing SoonSubscription PlansEntire Collection
Project Hail Mary 4K 07/26
Official Movie Discussion

Project Hail Mary 4K 07/26

Format: 4K UltraHD
Release Date: 08/11/2026
Overall★★★★☆User Ratings 4.0 (4 Reviews)
Movie ★★★★☆
Picture ★★★★★
Sound ★★★★★
Extras ★★★★★
General Discussion

Better than the Martian?

Loading Community stats...
Opening Post
Posted Aug 25, 2026, 1:15 AM
For those who have seen both, which do you think is the better movie: Project Hail Mary or The Martian? Both have a similar science-driven survival feel, but which one did you enjoy more overall? Better story, characters, suspense, and rewatchability? My vote is Project Hail Mary but hope the writer keeps making more!

Replies (5)

Loading Community stats...
Posted Aug 26, 2026, 12:06 AM
#1
Both are great in their own way. I think the Project Hail Mary story is more interesting, but that's that also feels like a natural evolution and growth of Andy Weir's writing. I think the movie keeps the heart while scaling back on the more technical parts of the book. Both are heavily science and math based books, but I think Project Hail Mary is more accessible. Plus the interactions with Rocky were that much better on the screen. My vote is also Project Hail Mary.
Loading Community stats...
Posted Aug 26, 2026, 12:29 PM
#2
Rocky was a nice surprise. At first I was not sure. Thought it might take away from the realism but he totally grew on me.
W
Loading Community stats...
Posted Aug 29, 2026, 8:23 AM
#3
Agreed with the skepticism on Rocky as an alien character. I went into the film without any knowledge of the story or characters, and thought to myself there was no way they would introduce such a prominent and visually prevalent alien. From a VFX and realism perspective I thought it would bring down the film. Not only was the authenticity Gosling brought to the character a more lighthearted surprise that lifted what I thought would be a pretty serious/heavy film, Rocky brought a unique character dynamic which the Martian did not have. Overall though I really like the Martian, I’d pick Hail Mary, objectively- it’s hard to say which one is better.
R
Loading Community stats...
Posted Aug 29, 2026, 8:05 PM
#4
I'd say Project Hail Mary. I was skeptical and felt like the 1st half was a little slower, 2nd off was great and really enjoyed it. Don't usually like Sci Fi movies either. Really like Gosling and watch alot of foreign movies with Sandra Hüller whos always fantastic. Both are really good and my wife is a bigger reader of the author.
Loading Community stats...
Posted Aug 29, 2026, 9:01 PM
#5
Love Sandra Hüller! Seeing her in a comical role was different. She's quite funny. Shows her range relative to Zone of Interest and Anatomies of a Fall.